Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mentors


Many are aware of my “mentor journey” twenty years ago when I interviewed over 60 very successful professionals, entrepreneurs and business executives in an effort to determine a direction for myself. It was one of the greatest educational experiences of my life to that point.

The thought for December 5 this week is from “Mentor #2," Stephen R. Covey, the well-known author of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Steve Covey was introduced to me by another mentor of mine, my dad, long before the rest of the world had ever heard of him.

Steve Covey taught me first-hand the importance of a personal purpose and passion for what you do. I have yet to meet anyone more purpose-driven and passionate since.

At a time when our minds naturally reflect on the things for which we are grateful, I continue to remember each of those 60 mentors and the positive influence they continue to have in my life. That’s what great mentors do. That’s what great mentors are.

Lord Chesterfield once said, “We are more than half of what we are by imitation. The great point is to choose good models and study them with care.”

My challenge to you is to choose or renew a mentor relationship and “study them with care.” If we are more than half of what we are by imitation, then it would serve us all well to imitate “on purpose!”

No comments: