Saturday, December 15, 2007

A Little Lagniappe!


One of the rights of passage if you live in Texas is having a truck.  After nearly 18 years in Texas I broke down a bought a truck last year.  Now I feel like a real Texan!

Just last week I had the truck in the shop for some routine work.  When I returned to pick it up, I was surprised to see the decorative metal hitch cover on the back of the truck wrapped in Styrofoam and plastic.   A few months earlier, someone had slightly rear-ended my truck at a traffic signal and bent the hitch cover.  It was nothing major, but was one of those things that bothered me every time I looked at it.

When I inquired about the specially wrapped hitch cover, Paul, my mechanic, ceremoniously unwrapped it to reveal a hitch cover that looked like new.  Paul had taken it upon himself to repair it at no charge as a nice added bonus.  I left the garage with a smile on my face.  I was satisfied about the work I had asked him to do, but I was ecstatic about the small added bonus I had not asked for!  Now where do you think I will go next time my truck needs work?

In French Louisiana they have a word for what Paul did.  The word is “Lagniappe” – something given as an extra gift or bonus.  It is not expected, but creates just that much more loyalty. 

So what is your lagniappe?  It may not be something you do for every patient every time, but when the situation is right and the opportunity arises, a little lagniappe can carry your patient all the way home with an even bigger, brighter smile on his or her face.

No comments: